Thursday, 19 May 2011


This week, as it was so blustery, we decided to do some studies on wind. A perfect project was to make a windsock. We raided the cupboards to look for appropriate materials and found a metal coat hanger and some lining material in assorted colours.
First, Boo hemmed the sock, leaving enough space for the wire.
While she did that, Champ cut up some material for the tail.
We then folded the material in half and drew a diagonal line that didn't meet at a point to leave an opening.
While the older two made the windsock, the younger guys did some painting.
Champ then sewed the ends together.
and we cut off the excess fabric.
Once we had a large pile of ribbons..
we sewed them onto the small end of the sock.
The wire coat hanger was straightened and pushed through the hemmed edge on the large end.
string was added to the top
And it was hung up! :)


Lacey said...

That is so neat! what a fun idea--kids love things blowing in the wind...

Moogie said...

Thanks Lacey :) It was so easy too. My eldest said to me when it was done "Wow mom, we are better than I thought" :D

Pip said...

what a fantastic idea! just what my garden needs to brighten it up! Thanks for sharing. i can see us giving this ago real soon!