Sunday 16 January 2011

Making rusks

I loved rusks as a child and thought that they would be a great snack food for the kids especially since 1) they keep for so long (turned out that didn't matter so much) and 2) they take a while to crunch though them.
So getting out my South African cook book I found a few recipes. I was already to make a bread like dough with yeast but I found this recipe that is more cakey. I halved the recipe but when I do it again I will keep the full recipe as it takes a while to dry them out in the oven, so you may as well have a bigger batch.

Buttermilk rusks
250g butter
200g sugar (4/5 cup)
2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk (500ml) - I didn't have buttermilk so I used regular milk with 2 tbsp of white vinegar
1kg self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
2 large or 3 smaller eggs

preheat oven at 190 oC and grease 2 loaf tins

Slowly melt the butter and add the sugar, salt and buttermilk, mixing well.
Sift together flour and baking powder
Add the eggs to lukewarm butter mix and then stir into flour mixture until very well blended. Knead lightly.
Roll them into balls
and pack them closely in the tin. Bake for about 30-45 minutes until cooked through
Googs playing with 'jelly beans' while waiting.

lovely and risen
break pieces apart. Rip don't cut. place on baking tin and cook in 100 oC oven until dried out ( couple of hours)
all ready for snacking

Next I want to try the yeasty ones. yummy!

No comments: